Youth & Government Teens attend 75th Youth Legislature Conference
YMCA of Snohomish County Youth & Government Teens attend 75th Youth Legislature Conference
Everett, Wash. May 13, 2022. Youth delegates from YMCA of Snohomish County recently participated in the 75th Youth Legislature, a 4-day conference bringing together students from across Washington State to participate in a mock legislative session.
“I am beyond proud of all of the students in our program and seeing their success is why I enjoy what I do,” said Nolan Martin, Senior Director at the Mill Creek Family YMCA. “Of the 26 delegates from Snohomish County, all of them achieved something while in Olympia. For some it was learning to tie a tie, others it was getting their bill passed.”
Youth and Government is a program that brings students in grades 8-12 together to discuss current events and issues important to them and their community, while developing their public speaking, leadership, and debate skills. The program culminates with Youth Legislature, the annual, state-wide conference that brings students together from all over the state to conduct a real legislative session.
Delegates participated in committee debate and floor sessions in hopes to pass a number of bills presented to the legislature. The YMCA of Snohomish County delegation noteworthy highlights:
· Eva Wagner Awarded Evergreen Award by Governor Pilch-Bison
· Charlotte Galusha Awarded Evergreen Award by Governor Pilch-Bison
· Hugh Carter Awarded Cherberg Outstanding Senator
· Ash Griffin Outstanding Service of Fair Elections
· Ann Duan Elected Editor and Chief of the Press for 76th Legislative Session
· Charlotte Galusha Elected Chief Lobbyist Executive for 76th Legislative Session
· Clyde Carter Elected Lt. Governor for 76th Legislative Session
· Taneum Fotheringill Awarded Linda Medcalf Advisor of the Year Award
“We had an amazing experience at this year’s Youth Legislature and I can’t wait to see how these students shine next year,” said Martin. “We are only getting started.”
To learn about the Youth and Government program, please visit: ymca-snoco.org/programs/teens/#yag. Registration opens for the 2022-23 school year on June 1, 2022.