Partners in Healing the Whole Person
LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA is a 12-week, small group program designed for adult cancer survivors. This program fulfills the important need of supporting the increasing number of cancer survivors who find themselves in the transitional period between completing their cancer treatment and the shift to feeling physically and emotionally strong enough to attempt to return to their normal life or their “new normal”.
The program is conducted outside of medical facilities to emphasize that LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA is about health, not disease. In addition to the physical benefits, LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA focuses on the emotional well-being of survivors and their families by providing a supportive community where people impacted by cancer can connect during treatment and beyond.
The bi-weekly 90-minute sessions take place in a small group setting and are adjusted to the individual’s ability level. The program is of no cost to participants and also includes a free Y membership for the session’s duration.
Criteria for Participation
Cancer survivors over the age of 18 who:
- Are in or out of active cancer treatment
- Have a strong personal desire to improve strength and fitness
- Will attend the entire 12-week program
- Obtain a medical clearance for participation
- Improve energy levels and self esteem
- Build muscle mass and strength
- Increase flexibility and endurance
- Improve ability to perform everyday tasks
- Develop a fitness plan to continue practicing a healthy lifestyle
Begins Feb. 23 | Mon/Fri 12:30 pm-2:00 pm
Begins Feb. 26 | Tues/Thurs 10:45 am-12:15 pm
Begins Feb. 25 | Mon/Thurs 11:30 am-1:00 pm
Begins Feb. 25 | Tues/Thurs 1:30 pm-3:00 pm