The Everett Family YMCA has been a cornerstone in the greater Everett community since it was founded in 1901. Rebounding after the fire in 1920 and undergoing two major additions in 1960 and 1980, the Everett Y has continuously served the community for more than 115 years.
We focus our work in three key areas, because nurturing the potential of kids, helping people live healthier, and supporting our neighbors are fundamental to strengthening communities. This is a time of great opportunity as we look forward to serving this community for the next 150 years!
Why do we need a new Everett YMCA?
In order to continue the legacy of service and provide modern tools to meet the future needs of our community, replacing the current Everett YMCA is the only feasible and cost effective option. Doing so will allow the Y to:
- Increase accessibility for those with diverse abilities
- Be closer to the population center of Everett
- Serve more people through a larger facility and improved access
- Provide a safe place for people of all ages to connect and engage in healthy living programs and activities
Why is the Colby property (former Everett School District Administration Building) the right site for a new Y?
A team of YMCA volunteer leadership and staff spent more than two years considering a variety of properties for the new Everett Y. Elements considered included:
- Property size: Ideally 5+ acres
- Proximity to expanding Everett population: Everett’s true “center-point” is south of 41st Street
- Accessibility: Is the property easy to drive, bus, walk or bike to?
- Expense: Not just the price of the property, but the cost to develop the land and build the kind of YMCA we want to build
The decision to pursue property south of downtown required much consideration. The full committee agreed that pursuing the opportunity to purchase the Everett School District property on Colby met the project criteria.
The new YMCA will be located at 4730 Colby Avenue, Everett.
What will happen to the current YMCA building?
A real estate broker has been secured and the property is currently up for sale. Staff and volunteers are mindful of the history contained in these walls and will work to be sensitive to the emotions this history represents throughout the transition to the new facility.
What elements will be included in the new Y?
The new 60,000 square-foot, multi-story facility will include:
- State-of-the-art aquatic center with a 6-lane competition/lap pool, Lazy River, whirlpool, and warm water therapy pool.
- Full-size gym for youth, adults, and families to enjoy.
- Wellness and group exercise spaces and an indoor track
- Drop-in child care while you workout
- Big Brothers Big Sisters mentoring center
- Healthcare program partner
When is the new Y going to be open?
We broke ground on June 9, 2018 and construction is currently underway. Grand opening is currently planned for fall 2019.
How much money has been raised?
To date, local volunteer leadership has raised $15.7 million from generous donors throughout our community, as well as regionally. Once construction begins, final fundraising efforts will be conducted including a community campaign. The full fundraising goal is $17 million for the $33 million project. .
How can I get involved and learn more?
The Y is a volunteer-based organization. We welcome your interest and involvement as we together, develop a new home for our Everett YMCA. To learn more please talk with Everett Y staff.
What programs will be offered at the new Everett YMCA?
The Everett YMCA will continue to offer a suite of programs and activities that our members know and love. This includes:
- Group Exercise
- Water Fitness and Swim Lessons
- Healthy Living Programs: Diabetes Prevention, Cancer Survivors, Pedaling for Parkinson’s, Weight Loss, Arthritis/Chronic Conditions, Youth Obesity Prevention
Teen Programs & Recreation
- My Achievers Program
- Family Programs
- Youth Sports
- Personal Training
- Summer Programs
- School-Age Care
- Volunteer Opportunities