|Water Fitness Instructor|
|$20.09 – $25.11 / hour DOE|
Education & Experience
· Current certification or license in areas of expertise
· Strong interpersonal and problem solving skills
· Experience working with individuals, families and communities of diverse backgrounds and abilities
· Fluency in second language desired
Instruct group classes in a safe, enjoyable, and positive environment that welcomes people of all cultures, skills and fitness levels. Effectively builds community within the class. Modifies class as needed to meet varied health, ability and cultural needs.
· Leads energizing, fun, culturally sensitive, and educational group classes
· Uses effective listening skills with class participants to better understand the individual’s goals related to health and well-being and how to support them in achieving those goals
· Current knowledge of wellness and trends to provide effective information and support to members
· Observes and adjusts approach to support all participants’ capabilities, physical conditions, health, and culture
· Celebrates achievement with class members related to individual’s personal accomplishments, mastering of
specific skills or overall health and well-being
· Connecting with participants, encourage Y membership and affinity groups
· Keeps accurate class attendance records
· Follows YMCA policies, practices and procedures; responds to emergency situations
· Performs other duties as assigned
Cause-Driven Leadership® Competencies
· Build relationships with a diverse membership base in culturally responsive ways, connect members
with one another and to the YMCA
· Exhibit Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility
· Complete required training and certifications within established guidelines
· Arrive on time ready for shift, clock in/out within timekeeping system
Embrace Leader Core Competencies:
· Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values
· Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs
· Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them
· Supports fundraising
· Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinion, and perceptions
· Builds rapport and relates well to others
· Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view and remains calm in challenging situations
· Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively
· Takes initiative to assist in developing others
· Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another · Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience · Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work, and actively participates in meetings · Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately · Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members Personal Growth: · Pursues self-development that enhances job performance · Demonstrates an openness to change and seeks opportunities in the change process · Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths, and limitations and how they impact relationships · Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-the-date knowledge and skills in technology Physical and Mental Demands: The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by employees to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, employees are regularly required to sit, walk and stand; talk or hear, both in person and by telephone; use hands repetitively to finger, handle, feel or operate standard office equipment; reach with hands and arms; and lift up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and the ability to adjust focus. Mental Demands: While performing the duties of this job, employees are regularly required to use written and oral communication skills; read and interpret data, information and documents; analyze and solve non-routine and complex problems; may use math and mathematical reasoning; observe and interpret situations; learn and apply new information or skills; perform highly detailed work on multiple, concurrent tasks; work under intensive deadlines with frequent interruptions; and interact with members, staff, volunteers, and others encountered in the course of work, some of whom may be dissatisfied individuals. Working Conditions: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Typically interaction with others is busy, constant and occasionally interruptive. Work may be demanding at times. May require ability to work irregular hours. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Job descriptions represent a general outline of job duties, functions and qualifications. They are not intended to be comprehensive in nature. In addition, jobs evolve over time and therefore their description may not reflect the precise nature of the position at a given point in time.
To apply, submit Cover Letter, Application, and Resume with three professional references to:
Health and Wellness Director
Add: “Water Fitness Instructor” in the subject line.
No phone calls, please.