My Y Story: Hanna
Hanna and her family have been Monroe Y members for ten years. The Y was a place where Hanna and her family would swim, workout, and connect with friends. In December 2016, Hanna’s husband of 19 years, Paul, was diagnosed with brain cancer. At the time of his diagnosis, Hanna ans Paul were the proud parents of young children and Hanna was pregnant with a baby, soon to arrive. As her due date drew closer, Paul’s cancer progressed, and Hanna became his caretaker. Their daughter Lydia was born in May 2017, and Paul peacefully passes away 36 hours after she was born. Every day Hanna tries to figure out their new normal. The Y is a second home for the family and has been supportive, providing financial support during Paul’s illness.
“The Y is a place where friends connect and you meet new people. Everyone is encouraging, you come as you are, there is no judgement and everyone is here as a family.” Hanna said. “For my children, the Y is their ‘happy place’.”
When you donate to the Y, you make our communities better and the “us” who live in them stronger.
All kids deserve the opportunity to discover who they are and what they can achieve, under the guidance of caring adults who believe in their potential. We see every interaction with young people as an opportunity for learning and development—all grounded in the Y’s core values of caring, honesty, respect and
We help people and families build and maintain healthy habits for spirit, mind and body in their everyday lives. By helping kids, adults, families and seniors from all walks of life improve their health and well-being, we build a stronger community.
With our doors open to all, we bring together people from all backgrounds, to support those in need. We take on the most urgent needs in our community and inspire a spirit of service in return. Our members, volunteers, supporters and staff demonstrate the power of what we can achieve by giving back
Every day, the Y strengthens communities and helps the “us” who live in them achieve our individual and collective promise.
We can’t do it alone.
Trainings | The Y Cause, Your Story, and Fundraising Techniques
- Saturday, January 20, 9:30 am
- Monday, January 22, 7 pm
- Tuesday, January 23, 6 pm
- Saturday, January 27, 9:30 am
- Saturday. February 3, 9:30 am
Annual Campaign Events
- Thursday, February 9, 6 – 8:30 pm | Annual Campaign Karaoke Kick-Off
- Monday, February 19, 5 pm | Swim-A-Thon
- Saturday, February 24, Noon – 9 pm | Craft for a Cause
- Monday, February 26, 5 am – 9 pm | Silent Auction (Week Long)
- Monday, February 26, 5 am – 9 pm | Winter Garage Sale
- Tuesday, February 27, 5 am – 9 pm | Winter Garage Sale
- Saturday, March 10, beginning at Noon | 8th Annual H2O Class
- Saturday, March 10, beginning at 5 pm | Zumba Glow Party
- Tuesday-Thursday, March 13 – 15 , ongoing | Cycle Tour